L.E.A.R.N. (Lead, Educate, Advance, and Reward the Next generation) is OEC's youth development initiative encompassing the catalog of youth programs OEC offers to students, teachers and schools, and community groups in our service area. As a cooperative, we have a social mission to improve our members’ quality of life beyond providing safe and reliable electricity. We believe supporting education and youth leadership development is the best way to effect a positive and lasting impact.
L.E.A.R.N. programs focus on providing educational opportunities and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education, promoting the cooperative business model through interactive challenges, providing quality safety education beneficial to the whole community, and encouraging community and civic involvement.
Call Tory Tedder-Loffland at 405-217-6726 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the following youth leadership programs.
- Leadership Summit is an energetic and motivating day-long leadership program held in the atmospheric boathouse district in downtown Oklahoma City for students in grades 10-12.
- Youth Tour is a week-long, all-expenses-paid educational trip to Washington, D.C. in June of each year for high school juniors.
- Energy Camp is a four-day action-packed adventure for eighth-graders that helps develop leadership skills and promotes teamwork while teaching about cooperative enterprises, the rural electrification program and electrical safety.
- Get Charged is a hands-on electricity education curriculum tailored to satisfy state education requirements at each level (elementary and middle school levels). We have experiments on magnetism, conductivity and insulation, circuits, generator motors, and more for
- Do Watts Wise is an electrical safety program for first through fourth graders that teaches the importance of staying safe around electricity.
- Co-opoly is an interactive game that presents the idea and guiding principles of this democratic form of business known as cooperative.